[Mailman-Developers] [Fwd: Re: [Mailman-Announce] Mailman 2.1.6 beta 1]

Tokio Kikuchi tkikuchi at is.kochi-u.ac.jp
Fri Jan 21 14:54:16 CET 2005

Niels Bakker wrote:

> Hello,
>

>>  http://www.jwz.org/doc/threading.html

> Mailman 2.1.6b1 breaks this algorithm, specifically this step:
>
> | Only two things need to be done with the subject strings: ask whether
> | they begin with `Re:', and compare the non-Re parts for equivalence.
> | So you can get away with interning or otherwise hashing these, too.
>
> ... by moving the tag to the front, which makes the Subject not start
> with "Re: " anymore (or, more precisely, Mutt's $reply_regexp variable).

OK, it's not pipermail problem but MUA's. Pipermail never rely ambiguous
"Re:" threading. (That was why I was always annoyed by "no subject" or
"question" message threaded under very old messages in my Netscape 7.)

 > Therefore, please back out this change.

I think I can add some code before the 2.1.6 final release to exchage
Re: and prefix order for the subject prefix without numbering. (Yes, we
now have a nice feature to add numbering in the subject prefix.)

http://weather.is.kochi-u.ac.jp/