[Mailman-Developers] [Fwd: Re: [Mailman-Announce] Mailman 2.1.6 beta 1]

Tokio Kikuchi tkikuchi at is.kochi-u.ac.jp
Fri Jan 21 01:14:54 CET 2005

Hi Jared,

Barry Warsaw wrote:

> Re: [Mailman-Announce] Mailman 2.1.6 beta 1
> From:
> Jared Mauch <jared at puck.nether.net>
> Date:
> Wed, 19 Jan 2005 23:34:45 -0500
> To:
> Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org>
>

> 	Barry,
>
> 	this patch:
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/mailman-checkins@python.org/msg04956.html
>
> 	has caused broken behaviour in mail threading because it
> always moves the subject prefix to the beginning of
> the line, instead of leaving it where it where it has in the
> past after Re: [j-nsp] or whatnot.

This is useful if some one post a message with subject like this:
  Blar Blar Blar Blar Blar Blar Blar Was Re: [prefix] Foo Bar
List subscribers may wonder why this messages sneaked in the thread. It
had happend many times in Mailman-* lists.

> 	this is really annoying and has caused me to have to back out
> that in my installation.
>
> 	live example:
>
> http://puck.nether.net//pipermail/cisco-nsp/2005-January/thread.html
>
> 	note how for example the "Packet Generator" thread isn't
> working correctly.

Looks like working, to me.

I believe threading in the archive is performed by looking the
a thread is divided in two or more?). There are also not threaded
messages in the archive before 2.1.6b1 (I can tell by [c-nsp] is not
followed by Re:). The real problem is that there are quite a few mailers
which don't add In-Reply-To: header.

The patch has been used among Japanaese communities more than 4 years
and also used in other countries since it was uploaed in the SF patch
area, and no such complaint has been heard.

IMHO, if the problem is within your mail user agent, you must complain
against the mailer's developer.

Regards,
http://weather.is.kochi-u.ac.jp/