[Mailman-Developers] High Availability

John W. Baxter jwblist at olympus.net
Mon Feb 28 18:22:48 CET 2005

On 2/27/2005 17:46, "Preston Wade" <Preston_Wade at hilton.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I read some old post back in 2002 on this list about Load balancing.  In my
> scenario I don't have near the volume to warrant load balancing but I am
> interested in fail over capabilities.  Would it cause Mailman any heartburn if
> I simply wrote an rsync script to keep the trees in sync?

We do this.  It seems to be successful.

> And then use the
> heartbeat package to do automatic fail over.  I realize depending on my sync
> cycle I will potentially loose some data.  Is there a better alternative to
> this?

We stopped trying to use heartbeat long ago, when of the first 10
auto-triggered switches, all proved to be false "alarms" by the heartbeat
code.  (Not just for this purpose.)

> Also I saw there are plans to move to a user store were users would have one
> password for all list.  Have there been any considerations for LDAP as that
> user store?

There have...I hope LDAP isn't the only choice when the change happens
(we're moving away from LDAP, having become tired of repairing broken LDAP
databases).

  --John