[Mailman-Developers] bin/update slowness fix

pabs pabs at cat.org.au
Sat Feb 19 09:41:50 CET 2005

Hi mailman devs, listworkers,

We recently upgraded lists.indymedia.org from version 2.1.4 to 2.1.5[0].
We soon found that update_pending in the update script was a little slow
[1] (taking a couple of minutes to complete each list, for a total of 22
hours or so - we have > 1000 lists).

Long story short, here[2] is a patch that we used to speed that up to
0-2 seconds per list (against mm 2.1.6b3). It isn't exactly correct,
because I wasn't able to work out how to call private members of
MailList subclasses quickly and the priority was just to get the upgrade
done, but it does work. I really think that either it, or a properly
done patch (with no code duplication) should go into the upcoming
release of 2.1.6.

0. This was debian 2.1.4-5 to 2.1.5-6 btw.
1. A quote from the script:
   # This is not the most efficient way to do this because it loads and
   # saves the pending.pck file each time. :(
2. http://sf.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=1124510&group_id=103&atid=300103

PS: We've some other patches too that may or may not be useful, please
visit http://lists.indymedia.org/patches/index.en.html and let us know
if you would like us to update them for 2.1.7/2.2 (and non-debian).

--
bye,
pabs

http://docs.indymedia.org/view/Main/PaulWise