making Mailman CAN-SPAM compliant (was Re:[Mailman-Developers] Hashing member passwords in config.pck)

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui at plaidworks.com
Wed Feb 16 19:32:58 CET 2005

On Feb 16, 2005, at 8:45 AM, Brad Knowles wrote:

> 	I try to do all the little things I can, so that Barry and the core
> developers can focus their attention on the big things that I have no
> hope of ever being able to touch.  For the most part, I try to follow
> the lead of people like Barry, Chuq, JC, and the others who have been
> here longer than I have.

It's been a crazy year for everyone on the mailman team -- I know
Barry's done what he can, but in the end, he has to earn a paycheck and
have a life, and Mailman simply can't be considered more important than
either of those.

I've been the same way, working on a project that's gotten hugely
popular at work and taken up a huge amount of time and energy -- 50 and
60 hour weeks have been common the last year as we try to not choke on
success, and I've had other non-work complications sucking up time and
energy. To give you an idea how bad it's been -- a server upgrade I'd
planned for last March finally is happening, where last night I
migrated my blog to a new environment. Having a project like that slip
almost a year (and that was a REVISED date. sigh) is scary in a way,
but it gives you an idea just how little my spare time and my energy to
do things have coincided.

Once this server upgrade is complete, I'll be able to finally get
started on a couple of projects I announced a couple of years ago and
still want to see happen, along with getting more involved with Mailman
again. The last few months, I sort of feel all I've accomplished is
trying to shield Barry from having to deal with list logistics and the
like, and the project needs more than that....

I think its safe to say that it's not lack of interest or intent here
with any of us, but a lack of free time. And time, of course is one
commodity you can't do much about some times.