[Mailman-Developers] Hashing member passwords in config.pck

iane at sussex.ac.uk iane at sussex.ac.uk
Mon Feb 14 13:30:52 CET 2005

--On February 12, 2005 02:07:29 -0500 Bob Puff <bob at nleaudio.com> wrote:

> I'm in agreement with Barry, that I don't think we should phase out
> passwords for 2.1.x.  I know several of my users who sign up to
> the lists
> using their corporate mailbox, yet log in from home and view archives
> (they remember their password).
> I'd have people screaming bloody murder
> if the archives were required to have email confirmation for each read.
>
> I'm sorry, but I just don't see other viable solutions except for
> passwords for this function.  Every other "members-only" area on the
> internet today is authenticated by passwords, and they can be saved in
> the browsers for easy access.

+1. Actually, +15,000 for all the students and staff on campus that use
Mailman here. They remember their passwords because they use them to log in
to the machines on campus. Of course, I'd like Mailman to authenticate from
our LDAP server instead of any password that Mailman stored - for users in
our domain. For external users of our lists, then they'd need to have
Mailman passwords - unless they had different functionality, I suppose.

--
Ian Eiloart
Servers Team