[Mailman-Developers] Hashing member passwords in config.pck

Tobias Eigen tobias at kabissa.org
Thu Feb 10 19:50:13 CET 2005

I'm with Bob here - I did a scan of the httpd log on my mailman server
and I'm pretty sure we were not hit by either the spammers using the
~mailman/cgi-bin/roster vulnerability or the hackers via the
~mailman/cgi-bin/private vulnerability. I've now disabled both of these
scripts for the time being until I find a way to plug the holes.
Encrypting passwords will go a long way to fixing the risk in the
future, and forcing everyone to change their passwords is really a big
burden on them, especially if we're pretty sure they aren't
compromised.

Cheers,

Tobias

--
Tobias Eigen
Executive Director

Kabissa - Space for Change in Africa
http://www.kabissa.org

* Kabissa's vision is for a socially, economically, politically, and
environmentally vibrant Africa, supported by a strong network of
effective civil society organizations. *