[Mailman-Developers] Re: [Pydotorg] Volunteer sought to code Mailman/Plesk integration script for use by African organizations

Tobias Eigen tobias at kabissa.org
Fri Feb 4 04:11:40 CET 2005

Hi,

I'm pleased to report that the Rackspace tech did the work I needed,
and now Mailman 2.1.2 is working beautifully on my Plesk 7.03 server!
Woohoo! Kabissa member organizations with hosting accounts on the
Kabissa server are now able to create, manage, and delete their own
lists. Web interface is at http://lists.foo.com and lists are reachable
at listname at foo.com and associated -request etc addresses. I have asked
for permission to share the code for the cronjob he created that makes
this possible and if I get it will write it up and make it available
here.

Some responses to your message interspersed below.

Cheers,

Tobias

--
Tobias Eigen
Executive Director

Kabissa - Space for Change in Africa
http://www.kabissa.org

* Kabissa's vision is for a socially, economically, politically, and
environmentally vibrant Africa, supported by a strong network of
effective civil society organizations. *

On Feb 3, 2005, at 2:01 PM, Brad Knowles wrote:

> At 11:22 AM -0500 2005-02-03, Tobias Eigen wrote:
>
>>  Thanks for the reply. To tell you the truth, I looked at the
>> volunteer
>>  opportunities wiki and it took me just a little bit too much effort
>>  figure out at the brief moment I took to look at it so I gave it up!
>
> 	I was afraid of that.  ;(

no worries - this is my own ignorance.. I think a wiki is cool for this
sort of thing. I need to learn wikis anyway. Would be nice to have a
simple form alternative for those of us who haven't taken the wiki leap
yet. :-)

>>  Also had the bad luck of writing a lengthy email to the
>>  mailman-developers list which I then lost through a glitch in my mac
>>  email client. Proof, really, that I am completely useless with email
>>  and should never be allowed to administrate a mailman server. <grin>
>
> 	Here, the archives of the mailing list could have been useful. For
> example, the message I think you're talking about is at
> <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-developers/2005-January/
> 017649.html>.

Thanks, but that's not it - I wrote another lengthy message describing
our plans in more detail but it was lost. <sigh> I'll get back on it
soon when I have some spare time.

>>  In the meanwhile, since I've not managed to get a volunteer to help
>>  out with this particular problem, I have decided to go ahead and pay
>>  a Rackspace (our hosting provider) technician to take care of it for
>>  me. When I have it I'll share the code. I'll keep you all posted.
>
> 	Thanks!

I'm happy about the setup on my server now - I'll be back soon with
more info.

Cheers,

Tobias