[Mailman-Developers] Spam/Scam button

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Thu Dec 15 10:06:32 CET 2005

At 6:26 PM -0500 2005-12-14, Barry Warsaw wrote:

>  While in general I think the mailing list is a lousy place to do spam
>  removal (it is better done upstream of the MLM), I do think we could add
>  some useful controls to help here.

	I can certainly see the advantage in allowing Mailman to take
advantage of additional information placed within the headers of the
message by the anti-spam processing system (improved in 2.1.6 over
previous versions).  And I can see the usefulness of having a
"discard and report as spam" option for list owners and moderators,
as mentioned by Dale -- basically, just forward the message to a
pre-configured e-mail address.

	However, I would seriously question the usefulness of trying to
integrate a full-blown anti-spam system into Mailman (e.g.,
SpamBayes).  IMO, that kind of thing needs to be integrated into the
MTA, not Mailman.

	My bigger concern here is that people understand who sees this
"discard as spam" button, and how it works.  This is not something
that would be exposed or otherwise available to the regular mailing
list recipients, and I believe that it will be important to manage
user expectations in this respect.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755