[Mailman-Developers] Spam/Scam button

Joshua Ginsberg jag at fsf.org
Tue Dec 13 18:55:30 CET 2005

> I've just been cleaning up a list that I administer and suddenly it came to
> me that we could have a report Scam/Spam button for such items being sent to
> Mailman lists.

Where would you have this button? In the admindb interface? In the post
itself somewhere?

> Would this be feasible? I know gmail has such a feature - I don't quite know
> the process it follows once it is reported.

Ay. There's the rub. To whom would it be reported, and what might they
do with it once reported?

> Where I see the biggest advantage of this is that individual mail users are
> not going to / seldom do go to the trouble of reporting because it is too
> much trouble. Do be able to do so at the click of a button, would
> exponentially increase the number of senders being reported.

Yes, but as with all distributed effort spam control measures, who is
going to police the mob-ocracy?

A good idea, to be sure. But there remain many sticky details to iron
out.

-jag

--
Joshua Ginsberg <jag at fsf.org>
Free Software Foundation - Senior Systems Administrator