[Mailman-Developers] [Mailman-i18n] A better way of doing templates?

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Wed Dec 7 15:39:19 CET 2005

At 1:08 PM +0100 2005-12-07, =?utf-8?Q?Bj=C3=B8rn_Vermo?= wrote:

>  May I suggest a zero-lingual base version? The only way to make software
>  truly language independent is to avoid the concept of a "default language".
>  If everybody has to get a language file, developers will be forced to
>  think about localization issues.

	You have to use some sort of tag to translate the message into,
and that tag is going to have to exist in some language.  And the
programmers are going to have to think in some language while writing
the code which will handle the tag.

	Or do you propose that all the programmers are going to have to
forget all the native languages they know and instead use randomly
generated gibberish tags?  How do you propose to maintain that code?

	When you go talking to other people in the world, do you work in
a zero-language manner internally, so that you can make sure that you
never have to translate from some native language into another native
language?

	When you can do that for all your native language discussions,
you can come back here and share with us how that works and how you
would modify that to work with programming languages and i18n.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755