[Mailman-Developers] Patch for Mail Archive mirroring

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Sat Apr 30 02:36:01 CEST 2005

At 3:09 PM -0700 2005-04-29, Jeff Marshall wrote:

>  Feedback?

	Speaking as the listmaster for ntp.isc.org (and ntp.org, back
before all those lists got moved), I can say that I would not be
opposed to this patch, if you would be willing to guarantee that you
would not archive or mirror any mailing lists except through this
sort of mechanism, and that adequate protections were built into the
system.

	I ran into a problem where gmane was archiving some of our
mailing lists (going back quite some time), and we didn't discover
this fact until much, much later.  Lars was nice enough to comply
with our request to remove our lists from gmane, but these kinds of
operations should not be done without a positive and explicit
approval from the listmaster.  So far as I know, gmane had never done
that for our lists.

	They also had a minor problem where a couple of days after we
requested that he remove all of our lists from his system, a new
request from gmane came in to mirror/archive one of our other lists,
which we obviously rejected.  We also complained about this to Lars,
and he apologized for not having recorded our preference to avoid
mirroring/archiving any of our lists across the whole system.

	I know that mail-archive.com provides mirroring/archiving
services for mailman-users and mailman-developers, and apparently
you've had that arrangement through Barry for quite some time.  So
long as that was an explicit arrangement you had with the listmaster,
I don't mind that continuing to remain.

	However, I do generally prefer to let mailing list servers
provide their own archives and search functions.  If the request came
in today from mail-archive.com to do this function for mailman-users
or mailman-developers, I would be opposed to it -- not strongly
opposed, and I'd probably be out-voted by the other people who would
have a say in this decision, but I would still be opposed.

	Nevertheless, I recognize that some people may place a higher
value on having an external site provide mirroring/archiving
services, and I don't mind making it easier for Mailman
administrators to make use of such functions.  However, I would want
to make sure that these features are difficult to abuse or misuse,
and I would want to make sure that all existing subscriptions get
converted over to this kind of service as it becomes available, so
that the additional protective measures are applied as broadly as
possible.

	Is that waffley enough for you?  ;)

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755