[Mailman-Developers] on the subject of fix_url, list creation with @ is non-intuitive..

Joe Rhett jrhett at meer.net
Sat Oct 30 01:15:06 CEST 2004

On Fri, Oct 29, 2004 at 06:23:22PM -0400, Terri Oda wrote:
> Nono.  You set up mailman.theirdomain.com or lists.theirdomain.com and
> point *it* at your server.   You don't host anything but lists, all the
> lists then have addresses that are mylist at lists.theirdomain.com and if
> they want to alias mylist at theirdomain.com, then that's their job and
> none of your business.

And this still does not solve the original problem I was trying to solve.

The listname is somelist at vanity.com.  Creating somelist at lists.vanity.com or
somelist at mailman.vanity.com does not solve the original problem. You could
go through all the effort of creating this host/domain, and you're still
stuck with the problem that the listaddr is not the same as the admin url.

The truth is that I have only rarely witnessed a situation where the
listaddr and the hostaddr are the same, except when people are running
lists from their own personal computers.  That's why I questioned the value
the original option.

> But anyhow, you seem to have a good idea of what you'd like, and you've
> clearly got the ability to make the patch if you're handling this stuff
> right now.  Would you be willing to write it?  All it takes now is a
> patch that's good enough for commiting, and you should be able to have
> what you want.

I'd appreciate anything you could do on this.  I want something agreeable
and maintained in future versions, including 3.0

--
Joe Rhett
Senior Geek