[Mailman-Developers] on the subject of fix_url, list creation with @ is non-intuitive..

Joe Rhett jrhett at meer.net
Sat Oct 30 00:09:30 CEST 2004

On Fri, Oct 29, 2004 at 10:36:27AM -0400, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> Really?  I provide mailing list services for lots of my friend's bands
> (and most of my own), and they only need to create a new host name in
> their domain, and point that at my server.  I only need to answer mail
> and web for that host.  It's easy to set up and almost effortless to
> administer.  YMMV of course.

Because that list is limited to your friends, and is probably less than a
thousand, right?

And second, let's think about this:

1. We add an extra option to newlist that allows us to set the listaddr at
creation time.

	-or-

1. You have the list owner change their DNS to point to you
2. You host their website and their domain
3. You provide a mechanism for them to update their web pages
4. You provide a mechanism for them to access their e-mail
5. You become a general support/ISP for said domain, even though you only
agreed to host a list for them.

Ah, I see.  The latter is OBVIOUSLY a much better idea!

Seriously people, if you have a single server that does everything and you
want to host your friend's e-mail lists on it then yes, virtual hosting
makes sense.  If you are not in the business of providing support and
general web hosting to the world at large for free, this is nonsense.

--
Joe Rhett
Senior Geek