[Mailman-Developers] on the subject of fix_url, list creation with @ is non-intuitive..

Dallas Bethune dallas at dreamhost.com
Thu Oct 28 19:43:33 CEST 2004

On Oct 27, 2004, at 9:03 PM, Joe Rhett wrote:

>> I'm -0 on it.  I think it's generally not needed given all the other
>> tools at your disposal, but if a patch is provided that does this in a
>> clean, backward compatible way, I won't veto it.
>
> What tools are those?  A heavy web ui?
>
> Sorry, did I overlook a command/command/command/commit ability in
> Mailman?
>
> Without that, you are limited to a long chain of command lines where we
> have to check each return code and then back out the commands if any
> one
> fails.  This makes no sense for any automation effort, and generally
> requires several hundred lines of code that do not survive upgrades, to
> work around a problem that can be solved in several lines of python in
> the
> source.

We use config_list to set some specific options for each of our lists.
We have completely automated the mailman list setup and it has worked
without any human intervention for our 5000+ lists.  Just create a
config_list template file by outputting the configuration for an
existing list and then write your script to set the variables you want
and then load those into the list.

It would, of course, be easier with one single command that does
everything you need but config_list is very useful and not that
difficult.  The changes we made to accommodate the 2.0 -> 2.1 upgrade
were minor.  We've had this system in place for several years now.

	Dallas

DreamHost Web Hosting
http://www.dreamhost.com/