[Mailman-Developers] locking and big lists

Fil fil at rezo.net
Thu Oct 28 16:37:55 CEST 2004

> 	Have you put your entire spool filesystem on solid-state disk, or
> at least very high capacity multi-spindle RAID 1+0 arrays with high
> speed battery-backed controllers with large quantities of write-back
> cache?

I don't understand this language, sorry. We have just upgraded the I/O
capacity of the server, and it's working fine with every other piece of
software, no problem with postfix handling tons of emails for example.

But still when we're talking about a 15-60 seconds lock for each subscriber,
even if we could have the hardware go twice faster, it's way too slow.
That's why I believe only the database backend can help (or any other
software modification). What's especially wierd is that probe sending is
very costly, but personalization or VERP-delivery is not that costly.

-- Fil