[Mailman-Developers] on the subject of fix_url, list creation with @ is non-intuitive..

Joe Rhett jrhett at meer.net
Mon Oct 11 19:40:17 CEST 2004

On Mon, Oct 11, 2004 at 01:28:05PM -0400, Terri Oda wrote:
> Also, we might want to put this somewhere in the online help for the
> list admin pages, if it's not already there.  I've had a few list
> admins get confused because there's no setting for it, just a setting
> for the email domain.  I'd suggest that we add a note along these lines
> to the help for host_name.  (eg: "Changing the domain for the web
> interface must be done from the command line by a site administrator.
> See the INSTALL file for more details on how to do this.")

On this subject, why does creating a list with the host name set the web
interface?  In no circumstance that I have ever seen are they the same,
except perhaps (in theory) for some hobbyist with a single computer?

$ newlist im at thejones.com

Sets the web interface to 'thejones.com' as well as the mail domain.  This
doesn't make a lot of sense except in the hobbyist environment.  I may be
off my rocker, but shouldn't this syntax set the mail domain and force you
to change the web URL manually?

--
Joe Rhett
Senior Geek