[Mailman-Developers] make finish?

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Wed Oct 6 20:39:38 CEST 2004

As part of our effort to make our mailman installation FHS compliant
I've been going through the "make install" and check_perms process with
a fine tooth comb looking for any discrepancies and discovered some
installation anomalies in the virgin 2.1.5 tarball, but more on that
later... In the meantime I wanted to ask a specific question.

In the mailman-2.1.5/src/Makefile.in are commands to change the owner &
permissions on $prefix/cgi-bin/private. The owner is changed to
MAILMAN_USER with setuid permission.

The problem is this part of the install never executes. Why? Its part of
the "finish" make target and finish is not a dependency of anything.
Most all the Makefiles have a finish target which are empty, only
src/Makefile.in actually does something for the finish target.

Is this Makefile cruft or should this be executed? Note that
mailman-2.1.5/Makefile.in removes the "other" read permission on
$prefix/archives/private, but it leaves group read/write. This suggests
to me that $prefix/cgi-bin/private with setgid and arbitrary owner (e.g.
without running the "finish") is fine and thus leads me to the
conclusion the finish target is cruft.

Is this right?
--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>