[Mailman-Developers] Dates again

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Wed Nov 24 10:52:05 CET 2004

At 7:13 PM -0800 2004-11-23, Joe Rhett wrote:

>  My straw man (which may be wildly under-educated) is that we have no need
>  at all to modify any headers, but instead to ignore the Date: header
>  entirely for archive and digest purposes.  Leave the Date header there, but
>  don't use it.  Instead use time of receipt.

	Date is one of the ways that the archive is sorted.  You'd have
to display a different header which would be consistent with the sort
order, and change some other links to read "time of receipt" instead
of "date".  Overall, more work than just correcting the "Date:"
header, although it would be more correct.

	Do-able, yes.  But not currently being done.

	Moreover, there are already other methods currently built into
the code for handling this issue with respect to the archives -- see

	For my part, this issue has as much to do with "correcting"
messages as they arrive into the system (and before they are archived
or sent back out again), as it is keeping the archives clean.  It's
one thing to just keep the archives clean, it's another to "correct"
the message before it gets recorded in the archives or sent back out
again.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755