[Mailman-Developers] Python versions (was: Re: RELEASED Mailman 2.1.5)

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at dev.InTechnology.co.uk
Fri May 21 04:57:18 EDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-05-20 at 18:45, John Dennis wrote:
> FC2 which was just released has 2.3.3 as will RHEL4. Red Hat users if
> they use Red Hat rpms will never have to build Python from source.

Don't expect people to be running the current release all the time or to
hold off mailman updates until OS refreshes.

Many of the mailman updates within 2.1 have been security related
updates, but now appear to be mandate underlying package updates that do
not have security related problems.  Python 2.3 is also less than a year
from release so forcing its requirement for packages that are undergoing
minor release updates appears to me to be premature.

Personally I'd argue for continuing to support Python 2.2 in the 2.1
series.  If this is really impracticable then we should make sure the
installer picks up the python version and refuses to install without
major threats and bludgeoning if the local python is not up to scratch.

	Nigel.