[Mailman-Developers] RELEASED Mailman 2.1.5

Jerold Stratton jerry at sandiego.edu
Tue May 18 13:09:23 EDT 2004

On Monday, May 17, 2004, at 11:28  PM, Ricardo wrote:
> Well, Debian stable doesn't go beyond python2.2, so that would mean
> Debian users will either need to install python from source or find a
> backport. It'll take a while before the new stable Debian is released.
> I don't now the state of other distro's.
> In my case installing from source would be an option, but I'm not a
> big fan of it.

Mac OS X 10.3 has Python 2.3, but Mac OS X 10.2 has 2.2; our web server
has 10.2 and is likely to stay that way for about one more year. (Apple
continues to support Mac OS X 10.2 and 10.2 Server with security
updates.) Given current time constraints and lack of desire to track
down dependencies, I probably would not perform any mailman upgrade
that also required a python upgrade unless the python upgrade was
*exceedingly* simple and did not require *any other* software or
libraries to change; it was "interesting" enough getting mailman to
work across two different platforms--the web portion and the mail
portion are on Mac OS X and a very old Solaris, respectively.

On the other hand, I'm pushing for an integrated solution in which
mailman's mail server and web server are both on the same machine, in
which case this would no longer be a problem.

So in our case, it most likely will be an issue for about another year.

Jerry
jerry at sandiego.edu
http://www.sandiego.edu/~jerry/
Serra 188B/x8773
--
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing
that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly