[Mailman-Developers] Maybe you guys can help me

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Tue May 4 14:01:09 EDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-05-04 at 05:06, Nigel Metheringham wrote:

> They should not do this if the mail is marked as "low priority" - ie
> Precedence set to values like "list" or "junk"

Absolutely right.  And you can hack Mailman all you like to try to
recognize these warnings, but in the long run I don't think it will help
those users very much.  I predict that they'll get bounced from lists
handled by other MLM's just as handily.  Or they will piss off people
who send them legit email.

You could of course turn off all bounce processing <wink> for your lists
if you wanted to coddle your users.

Or you could wait for Mailman 2.1.5, which will send a probe before
disabling them, once their bounce score reaches the threshold.  The
probe will verp in a unique token and if their mailer sends a warning
back for that, well they're out of luck.

The bottom line is that MTA warnings for precedence bulk has been a
well-known misconfiguration for a long time.