[Mailman-Developers] umbrella list model too restrictive?

eizan miyamoto tem at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Mar 30 14:14:00 EST 2004

All,

At the institution where I work, we are in the process of deploying
mailman as a replacement to our old mailing list system based on mmdf.
However, one very valuable asset to using mmdf was that we could embed
both other mailing lists as well as individual users in any given
mailing list.

This feature seems to be excluded and replaced in mailman 2.1.2 with
a-- imho-- less functional "umbrella list" setting that is defined on a
per-list basis, and if I understand correctly, this means that it is
difficult to embed both:
joe.user at server.org
and
marys-list at server.org
into a mailman mailing list.

I am wondering what the timeframe might be as far as being able to
define types (e.g. user vs list) for a subscriber on an individual
member basis.

If I am incorrect in assuming that this feature does not exist, I would
be more than happy to accept illumination. Furthermore, if there is a
legitimate reason why the developers have opted for the umbrella list
setting as compared to a less restrictive model, I would be highly
appreciative to have this explained.

Thank you very much,

Eizan Miyamoto