[Mailman-Developers] Email admin interface for subscription approve/deny?

Mike Zimmerman zimmy at nc.rr.com
Mon Mar 22 11:48:22 EST 2004

What is the status of the admin-by-email interface for
approving/denying subscription requests?

I've seen several requests for it (in the archives), and
suggestions that perhaps some parts have been worked on,
but no concrete info.

It appeasr that group-add-by-email can be used as a poor
work-around, tho the user is not removed from the pending
list, so daily reminds are still sent.

My scenario is
- user requests subscription to list
- request is forwarded to admin for approval
- that request is taken by procmail to a script
- script compares user addr against list of pre-approved addr
- script returns confirm/deby email to list interface

whole process takes delay of 2-3 round-trip emails, with
no human interaction.  I've had this working with Yahoogroups
and with Majordomo.  (un)fortunately(?) my web host uses
mailman and I can not see how to do this with mailman.
I would very much like to use the locally provided email
lists vs. the remote ones I use now.  Please advise on how
to do this with an ISP-installed (ie I cannot hack it)
copy of mailman.  And.or what is the status/ETA of this
feature?

Thanks,
Mike