[Mailman-Developers] [Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu>] Re: Bounceremoval parameters default values

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Fri Jun 25 05:30:28 EDT 2004

At 1:14 AM -0700 2004-06-25, Somuchfun wrote:

>  Oh, we did test it for a while but this is the kind of problem that you
>  do not encounter lightly in a test environment. And on top it would have
>  helped if the mailman dev team would have published this major change in
>  bounce processing!

	They did.  Close to the top of the file mailman-2.1.5/NEWS is the
following section:

     - The bounce processor has been redesigned so that now when an address's
       bounce score reaches the threshold, that address will be sent a probe
       message.  Only if the probe bounces will the address be disabled.  The
       score is reset to zero when the probe is sent.  Also, bounce events are
       now kept in an event file instead of in memory.  This should help
       contain the bloat of the BounceRunner.

       New supporting variables in Defaults.py: VERP_PROBE_FORMAT,
       VERP_PROBE_REGEXP

       REGISTER_BOUNCES_EVERY is promoted to a Defaults.py variable.

	If your MTA doesn't support VERP, then this should have been
pretty obvious to you.