[Mailman-Developers] Pre-select defer/accept/discard/reject for all mails

Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw at lug-owl.de
Sun Jul 18 10:43:54 CEST 2004

On Sat, 2004-07-17 16:32:07 -0400, Terri Oda <terri at zone12.com>
wrote in message <5F386FB0-D830-11D8-B97F-000D934FBF38 at zone12.com>:
> On Jul 17, 2004, at 8:25 AM, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> >I'm managing some Mailman based lists and get "some" spam each day.
> >Actually, > 95% of all emails kept for being revised is Spam, and it
> >takes some time to navigate through all of them and click on their
> >"discard" radio button. But changing the default from "defer" to
> >"discard" isn't all that wise either, it may break other people's setup
> >horribly. That is why I thought about having a small table ontop with
> >the four chooses, which fire up a JScript to equally check the radio
> >buttons for all mails in this admindb session.
>
> I love the idea, since this question comes up pretty frequently (link
> to FAQ and contents of that entry below).
>
> This sounds a little nicer than the checkbox we've got in 2.1.5 (again,
> see below), but is Javascript going to be more of a pain to support?

For now, my personal opinion is that it isn't really hard to support. If
the user has JS activated, he'll get a bonus of saved time here, if not,
everything works as it did yesterday.

The script I posted is made up so that it can easily be bend to work for
other layout of input boxes, as long as all mails get an equal number of
input fields.

For sure, there are even better methods to do that, but I'm not a JS
expert at all:)

> http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.026.htp

> First, open your bookmark manager and add the following link as an URL:
>
>  javascript:var el=document.forms[0].elements;for (var i=0;
> i<el.length;i++) if (el[i].type=='radio' && el[i].value==3)
> void(el[i].checked=true);

That'd work, too, but (German wording, don't know an equivalent English
message) that's "durch die Brust in's Auge geschossen".

> For Mailman 2.1.5, we find the following update which is mentioned in
> the mailman-2.1.5/NEWS file:
>
>     - The admindb page has a checkbox that allows you to discard all
> held
>       messages that are marked Defer.  On heavy lists with lots of spam
> holds,
>       this makes clearing them much faster."

So you first approve all legitimate emails, get a new legitimate email
and discard all spam inclusive the last legitimate mail you just got.

Don't really like that idea because of that li'l race...

MfG, JBG

--
   Jan-Benedict Glaw       jbglaw at lug-owl.de    . +49-172-7608481