[Mailman-Developers] Alternate user (and admin) interfaces

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Wed Jul 14 23:07:11 CEST 2004

I've been searching around for people's experiences implementing
alternate web interfaces for Mailman, but I've been surprised not to
find much.

The desire to do this seems obvious to me -- there's a lot of different
flavors of mailing list (discussion, announce, correspondance
management, and many others).  The interface tries to support all of
these, and is rather overwhelming as a result.  Since I haven't found
other people making these interfaces, I'm guessing: (a) I'm not looking
in the right places, (b) people are doing this but not sharing their
results, (c) and it's so easy they don't even need to ask public
questions about it, (d) or it's so hard they give up quickly, (e) or
it's easy but fragile, and people create lots of prototypes but nothing
serious, (e) or everyone lacks the imagination or interest to try.

Now that I list them, (a) seems the most likely, but I swear I've really
tried to find them.  Are their examples people might suggest?

Right now I'm just trying to evaluate the feasibility of creating a
trimmed-down interface.  Actually a couple interfaces: one for announce
list subscribers (*very* minimal), another for announce list
administrators (including some posting tools and reports), and another
simplified discussion list user interface.

Anyway, I just wanted to see if other people are thinking about this,
have already done this, or can give any advise.  It doesn't look hard
from my first investigation, but I'm also not sure how to best implement
-- Mailman's web interface confuses me a bit, and I'm guessing that it's
an ad hoc application server.  If we go ahead to make this, I suspect
we'll want to do something more expedient (i.e., not based on Mailman
3.0), but it would be nice to do this in a way that can be shared, and
something that isn't just a hack.