[Mailman-Developers] VERPing: ouch!

Fil fil at rezo.net
Tue Jul 13 17:39:03 CEST 2004

> > Sorry, for postfix indeed it might be much easier to do it this way:
> > http://www.postfix.org/VERP_README.html#smtp
> >
> > the only change between non-verp and verp call to the SMTP server is to
> > replace
> >         MAIL FROM:<sender at domain>
> > by
> >         MAIL FROM:<sender at domain> XVERP=+=
>
> 	I don't know what this would do for performance with postfix
> (relative to having Mailman do the VERPing), but it would certainly
> be interesting to find out.
>
> 	Can you modify your code so as to generate this modified string,
> and see what happens?

It's not so easy for me: it's a production server, and I'm bad at python :)

Moreover, and more importantly, what needs to be done is first to test the
presence of XVERP in the SMTPd server we connect to. Postfix does not enable
it by default. Then check if the message wants to be VERP (but not
decorated). Then only ask XVERP from the MTA. Too ambitious for me...

-- Fil