[Mailman-Developers] my 2cts on Personalization, AOL, performance

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri Jan 30 15:59:29 EST 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-30 at 15:06, Ricardo wrote:

> Speaking of personalization: what is the main reason it hasn't been
> implemented for digests yet? Simply a lack of time or are there some
> important design issues which make it difficult?

For stupid reasons, Mailman decorates digests when it's composing them,
so by the time SMTPDirect.py is sending out personalization, it's too
late.  Untangling all that is more work than I'd be comfortable adding
to Mailman 2.1.

> about improving delivery speed: what about implementing LMTP?
> (http://www.networksorcery.com/enp/rfc/rfc2033.txt)

I'm not sure LMTP is appropriate, though I haven't studied this protocol
in detail, so I could be mistaken.  Mailman doesn't manage a queue in
the sense that LMTP requires; it relies on the MTA for most delivery
guarantees.