[Mailman-Developers] AOL's requirements for spam complaints

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri Jan 30 14:45:21 EST 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-29 at 17:21, Somuchfun wrote:

> Mailman needs to create something like an x-client-id header that has the
> recipient email address in it because this header will stay intact when a
> complaint comes back.

> This header needs to be created whether mailman runs in personalization mode
> or not.

> So the questions is not can mailman do it or not?

It would not be hard to add this to Mailman, when full personalization
is turned on.  Two lines of code.

The difference between 'regular' personalization and full
personalization is that the latter inserts a custom To header for each
recipient.  There's no reason why Mailman couldn't also add an
X-800-Pound-Gorillas-Can-Hurt header with whatever information makes
your life easier.

The question isn't whether it can be done, but whether we should add it
to Mailman for everyone.  I'm not interested in adding even more
configuration options to control this, whether in Defaults.py or on the
admin pages.