[Mailman-Developers] AOL's requirements for spam complaints

Kevin McCann kmccann at bellanet.org
Fri Jan 30 13:23:28 EST 2004

Carson Gaspar wrote:

> If you'd read your own thread, you'd know the answer already. Lyris is
> its own MTA - it speaks SMTP directly to the recipients' mail servers.
> This allows it to do on-the-fly customization at SMTP transmit time
> instead of having to queue each unique message.

Fair dues.

> I'll make you a deal - you write the MTA, and I'll add support in
> mailman to offload the personalization.

I do not personally have the skills to do this but I wouldn't rule out
trying to get the funding to help make it happen. I wonder if there is
there enough collective know-how among Mailman developers and other
interested parties. Let me ask: if you don't see this as being a
priority now, do you see it as being such in 2 years, 3 years, five?

More than anything I'd like to see an open source MLM that can keep up.
One that can meet the ever growing list of challenges as well as
expectations. So, looking down the road, where do others see things
going? Should the OS MLM status quo remain, or ought there be an effort
to plan for the future? Now that Mailman 3 is on the table, is a
built-in MTA an issue for discussion, or is it completely unrealistic?
Will it always be unrealistic?

- Kevin