[Mailman-Developers] AOL's requirements for spam complaints

moron moron at industrial.org
Fri Jan 30 02:04:19 EST 2004

On January 29, 2004 10:44 pm, you wrote:
> Sorry, I don't buy this argument. If you have two choices: use more CPU
> time and network, or improve the end-user experience, choosing "less
> work for the computer" is almost always the wrong answer.

Howdy.  I do not understand why you would feel that adding a personalized
header makes the list experience any better.   Would Usenet be any better
with a customized header for every news article you read?  There is a big
difference in my mind between a discussion mailing list and a marketing
system with "Dear <insert name here" type pseudo personalizations (a bit like
a phone system inserting your name into the "please do not hang up" messages
when you are on hold).

I am also not convinced about the CPU argument.  That's a lot of extraneous
message IDs to keep track of in databases, bounce detecting, etc. Instead of
being able to deliver to a 100 AOL users at once you suddenly have to send
100 separate messages.  Multiply that by a busy list (some of the ones I look
over are up to 150 - 200 a day sometimes) and it is still significant,
especially if binaries are involved.  I also wonder what effect it will have
on archiving (I am not immediately sure but it could be ugly depending on
whether it affects the threading complexity).   Another side effect is that
some servers try to block large volumes of connections from servers as an
anti-spam measure (Shaw Cable here in Canada did this recently) which this
would be far more likely to trigger.  It's not Mailman's problem of course
but something to keep in mind.

But if it works for you, hey go nuts.  But the argument to me sounds
dangerously similar to the one Microsoft used to push using HTML in email
which we are all still feeling the unfortunate fallout from (zero cognitive
benefit, plenty of headache).  Just because computers are faster now does not
mean that resources are suddenly free (as in beer).

Respectfully, IMHO of course.

Cheers

--
---> (culture) http://industrial.org : (label)  http://deterrent.net
---> (community) http://ampfea.org : (hire me) http://codegrunt.com
---> (send EEEI news to) infosuck at industrial.org
---> Whomever dies with the most URLs wins!!!!!!!!!!!!!