[Mailman-Developers] AOL's requirements for spam complaints

moron at industrial.org moron at industrial.org
Thu Jan 29 21:03:03 EST 2004

> That is actually not true. I tested both Gordano's communicator and
Lyris
> Listmanager and both are able to handle this requirement without a problem.
> I guess we found one of mailman's real weaknesses then.

To enable custom headers for each message at least partially destroys the
intent of a mailing list - efficient delivery of messages.  If each
message is customized that way then you have to actually send one distinct
message to every user instead of sending a single message with multiple
RCPT-TO lines.  Enabling this would serve to radically increase the server
overhead that Mailman causes (back to the Smartlist olden days).  Instead
of injecting one message to hundreds of recipients, you would be injecting
hundreds of unique messages.

This is hardly a weakness of mailman and instead a weird bit of behaviour
on AOLs part.

IMHO of course.

Cheers

--