[Mailman-Developers] PLEASE HELP!!!!! need to customize subject line in new subscribers welcome message! in english (en?)

Robby Griffin rmg at terc.edu
Tue Jan 27 15:49:03 EST 2004

On Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004, at 13:36 US/Eastern, Craig Elkins wrote:

> PLEASE HELP!!!!! need to customize subject line in new subscribers
> welcome message! in english (en?)
>
> i can't find the mailman.po english (US) version - i would assume the
> directory would be called "en" and it would be in messages - but I
> don't see it.  please tell me what i am missing here - my client is
> about to shoot me!!!!!!!!  also, after i change the message what else
> to i need to do?

The .po files are translations; there don't exist English translations
because the English is the original. You can find the welcome message
subject in Deliverer.py to make a quick-and-dirty change.

I am not an i18n expert though, so I'm not exactly sure what happens to
translations when you change one of the original strings. My intuition
is that the new string would be "untranslatable" using existing
translations, so you'd always get the English version. If your client
wishes to have properly translated welcome message subjects in other
languages, you would probably need to update messages/mailman.pot and
each of the translations. Also check README-I18N.en and the
mailman-i18n list.

	--Robby