[Mailman-Developers] Adding headers to mailman generated mails

Colin Palmer colinp at waikato.ac.nz
Wed Jan 21 20:18:17 EST 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-22 at 11:56, Somuchfun wrote:
> Hello Barry,
> Let me try to explain why the additional header is so important.
> When you use large lists with lots of traffic to AOL they can set you on
> something that is called an "feedback loop". This loop creates automated
> emails from AOL's postmaster about people on one of your list (as an ISP)
> who have clicked the "spam" button in regards to one of the messages
> originating from you.

If this is really important to AOL, seeing their 'official'
documentation on this would be nice, to make sure Mailman does implement
it right.

Just turning on VERP may work,  and would be less overhead than full
personalisation if you use one of the Mailman patches that gets postfix
or qmail to take on some of the VERP overhead.

> And then an additional problem is that mailman does not take out
> x-AuthenticatedSender headers from the poster of the message. And this
> header added by auth smtp reveals very clearly who the sender is even when
> the list is set to anonymous posting!

Maybe if your list wasn't anonymous, you'd get less spam complaints? :)

As an unrelated feature though, being able to give Mailman a
configurable list of headers to strip out of messages would be useful.

--
Colin Palmer <colinp at waikato.ac.nz>
University of Waikato, ITS Division