[Mailman-Developers] bug in Mailman 2.1.4 ??

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Tue Jan 6 13:43:55 EST 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-06 at 12:43, Robby Griffin wrote:

> > Only later we found that with the web interface we get a big
> > problems, for administrative things, both user subscription or
> > adminstrator login.
>
> For what it's worth, I upgraded a single-server installation yesterday
> and did not have this problem. It's probably something unusual in your
> setup.

Neither did I, although there was one report of a problem with
authentication that is fixed in CVS and which I think only affects sites
under very uncommon situations.  I need more detail about these "big
problems" before I'll know whether this is related.

> >     if mm_cfg.SYNC_AFTER_WRITE:
> > AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'SYNC_AFTER_WRITE'
>
> Your new Mailman/Defaults.py (and Defaults.pyc) should contain a
> SYNC_AFTER_WRITE setting (the default is No, which you'd override in
> mm_cfg.py). If you had previously write-protected Defaults.py or
> Defaults.pyc, or somehow overwrote the new one with an old one, then
> the attribute would be missing because the file wasn't updated.
> Otherwise it's not obvious how that would occur, maybe your mm_cfg.py
> fails to import everything from Defaults?

I'm pretty sure the release notes said that you MUST re-run configure
before installing.  Defaults.py gets generated from Defaults.py.in by
the configure script, so if you don't re-run configure, you won't get
the new defaults such as SYNC_AFTER_WRITE.