[Mailman-Developers] Re: Re: Tweaking Mail->News Gateway

Michael Heydekamp my at freexp.de
Sun Jan 4 09:06:00 EST 2004

Michael Stucki <mundaun at gmx.ch> wrote on 04.01.04:

> Hi Michael,

>> Well, at least a response. :)  I was already thinking if my
>> questions were to simple or too complex for the list.  Or if it's
>> simply the wrong time to ask such questions.

> I don't think so. My solution is just different but will work for
> sure!

See my explanation below.  But whether your solution will work or not,
it does still not achieve the goal that I outlined in my original post
(create "real" X-Postings in mail=>news direction when somebody sends a
mail to *both* Usenet-gated lists).

Or did I miss something?

>>> Visit http://www.mstucki.net/files/misc/mailman/ where I have
>>> uploaded a patch for CookHeaders.py.

>> Done and understood.  But this will only work if *no* user will
>> disable the option of receiving own posts to the list.  Because if
>> he does so then *no* reply to his own post would be correctly
>> threaded (from his local point of view).

> No. Since _all_ MessageIDs (NNTP+Mailman) are regenerated the same
> way, it will work in any case.

Hmm, we might have a misunderstanding.  Let me explain:

1. User is creating a post to the list, his mail reader locally creates
   a Message-ID.  Let's assume he has disabled the option of receiving
   own posts to the list.

2. He sends out the post, your code will munge the MsgID.  All
   subscribers (except the sender of the original mail!) will receive a
   mail with the munged MsgID, the same applies to all newsgroup users.

3. *Every* reply/followup to this mail/posting will point to this munged
   MsgID (in the In-Reply-To: and/or References: header).  Thus the
   sender of the original mail will receive replies/followups pointing
   to a MsgID he will not be able to find in his message base (because
   he still and only has his original mail with the locally created
   MsgID).

Threading by references will work everywhere, but not on the system of
the sender of the original mail.

See my point?

>> The direction news=>mail is not the problem, it's mail=>news.

> Nope. See above.

I was talking about the creation of "real" X-Postings with two comma-
delimited newsgroups in the Newsgroups: header here (rather than
creating two physical newsgroup postings with just one newsgroup in each
Newsgroups: header).  Also see my original mail.

        Michael