[Fwd: Fwd: Re: [Mailman-Developers] Potential shortcoming in check_perms]

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Fri Feb 27 10:07:57 EST 2004

Well, for some reason, I never got this reply, so I apologize for the
slow response.

>Subject: Re: [Mailman-Developers] Potential shortcoming in check_perms
>From: Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org>
>To: Bill Moran <wmoran at potentialtech.com>
>Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 16:16:41 -0500
>Cc: mailman-developers at python.org
>Sender: mailman-developers-bounces+web=3dresearch.com at python.org
>
>On Tue, 2004-02-24 at 11:52, Bill Moran wrote:
>
> > So, I was wondering what people thought about updating the check_perms
> > script to check file ownerships as well.  Is is possible?  It sure
> > seems like it would be helpful!
>
>check_perms checks group ownership.  Can you provide more detail about
>what was broken, and specifically what files needed to be checked?

Unfortunately, I don't know.  It was one of those situations where a
production list server was offline and multiple people were working on
it.

I do know, for a fact, that at one point check_perms was saying that
everything was OK, and yet we could not access the list archives.  I
know that's almost no help at all, but file it away in case it seems
to happen again with someone who's capable of getting you useful
details.  The symptoms were, specifically, that when accessing the
list archives, all links linked to the same message.

I'm going to try to do some post-chaos investigation on the problem
next week.  If I find anything of use about what went wrong and why,
I'll pass it on.

I apologize for complaining without having enough details to helpful.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies