[Mailman-Developers] Virtual domain support

Jamie Penman-Smithson jamie at silverdream.org
Tue Feb 10 15:51:12 EST 2004

I'm currently using Mailman 2.1.4, and currently, there are several
problems with Mailman's implementation of virtual hosting:

(a) List names aren't unique across virtual domains, domain1.com cannot
have a list called 'test' if domain2.com has a list called 'test'

On a large installation this is a real problem, and the only real way
around it is to run multiple installations of Mailman - one for each
site. This is pretty impractical if there are many, many virtual
domains.

(b) Linked to the above, the problem I've been having is that Mailman
has one site password and one list administrators password for *all*
virtual domains, (there are no 'domain administrators' who have
add/delete privileges for lists *only* for their own domain). If someone
knows the list admin password, they can create and delete lists not only
for their own site, but on all the other virtual domains as well.

Currently, I'm having to hack Mailman in order to have a separate
password for each virtual domain, which still doesn't solve the problem
of unique list names.

I love Mailman a whole lot, but I'm having to look at other solutions,
mainly because I'm heavily limited on time right now. Are there any
plans to improve on the current support for virtual domains anytime
soon?

Thanks in advance,

-j

--
-jamie <jamie at silverdream.org>
 w: http://silverdream.org | p: sms at silverdream.org
 pgp key @ http://silverdream.org/~jps/pub.key
 20:30:01 up 23:57,  5 users,  load average: 0.44, 0.21, 0.12