[Mailman-Developers] AOL's requirements for spam complaints

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Mon Feb 2 22:33:48 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-02-02 at 05:02, Nigel Metheringham wrote:

> > And I think we can make Mailman clear its queue of a message very
> > quickly, even with full personalization turned on.  How Mailman 2.1 does
> > personalization is not as efficient as it could be, for technical
> > reasons I won't go into right now.  I believe we can make Mailman more
> > efficient here.
>
> A standard MTA has to obey certain rules.

Yep, and Mailman will be speaking SMTP for the foreseeable future.
We'll see what replaces SMTP when it's declared illegal <wink>.

That wasn't exactly what I was talking about though.  Specifically, in
the inner loop where Mailman is weaving the message template with the
user specific data, Mailman does more work than it needs to do.  Given
Python 2.3 as a baseline and a few small incompatible changes, we can be
about as efficient as is possible in Python.  I've already got working
code in my Mailman3 experiment.