[Mailman-Developers] Unknown virtual host

Mark Edwards mark at antsclimbtree.com
Mon Feb 2 14:30:25 EST 2004

On Feb 2, 2004, at 7:14 AM, Robby Griffin wrote:

> That said, it might have been possible to resolve bug #835870 without
> getting in your way, I just have no idea how. I would think list
> creation would be ok if the domain were defined in mm_cfg.py, _or_
> used in any existing list, but that is probably too annoying to
> implement and still confusing if you add a virtual host later.
> Certainly consulting the apache or exim config is out of the question.

Thanks for the explanation.  I understand wanting to limit access to
the create cgi, but isn't that the responsibility of how the admin
designs the Apache implementation?  If I don't want a particular domain
to allow access to the cgi's, I don't alias them from that virtual
domain.  I'm not sure what's gained by adding a check to the cgi.

In any case, now that I know what's up its no big deal.  I would
suggest that the error message could be something more descriptive,
like "Error: secure.antsclimbtree.com not valid in mm_cfg.py".
"Unknown virtual host" is pretty vague.  If I had seen an error with
mm_cfg.py in it, I would have figured this out in 2 minutes.

Thanks for the help!

--
Mark Edwards