[Mailman-Developers] AOL's requirements for spam complaints

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui at plaidworks.com
Mon Feb 2 11:35:49 EST 2004

On Feb 2, 2004, at 3:27 AM, Brad Knowles wrote:

> 	In fact, in the case of announce-only lists of a very time-sensitive
> nature (e.g., sending out daily updates of the latest news over the
> past 24 hours that matches certain search criteria), you can do what
> InfoBeat/MercuryMail did -- run everything from a RAM disk.

It's definitely useful and a big win. It both clears up general disk
I/O, but more importantly (from what I have seen), moves certain key
inodes in the delivery file structure off of disk, and since I/O
operations have to lock and unlock them for update, the time wasted
single-threading through them goes way down (this is why, for instance,
you should generate a fairly large number of sub-queues in sendmail; if
you're trying to do volume and haven't, you're being silly; it spreads
the load across more than one inode)