[Mailman-Developers] Maybe it's time to release 2.1.6

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri Dec 3 05:41:10 CET 2004

    Ian> However, MacOSX and MacOSX Server have python Python 2.3 (#1,
    Ian> Sep 13 2003, 00:49:11), so requiring 2.4 could cause pain for
    Ian> anyone with a Mac installation of Mailman.

I'm not going to deprecate someone else's pain, but (1) Apple already
has a couple of "multi-version" applications standard (in particular,
GCC, see the gcc_select utility), and (2) I'm currently having no
problem with coexistence among the Apple-provided Python, two Fink
versions (2.2 and 2.3), and a DarwinPorts version (2.3).  I don't know
about Fink, but DarwinPorts has been providing a 2.4 package since the
alphas started (and maybe before).

Both Fink and DarwinPorts have their issues, but so far Python isn't
one of them.  (Actually, only ghc and the X distributions have given
me any trouble at all in DarwinPorts, and my issues with Fink mostly
are of the form "too many applications that don't need to be linked to
GNOME are linked to GNOME".)

So it may not be all that difficult for admins of Apple boxes to work
around this.