[Mailman-Developers] Maybe it's time to release 2.1.6

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Wed Dec 1 21:29:45 CET 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-01 at 09:05, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> > May be we can go forward to requirement of Python 2.4 because CJK codecs
> > are integreted there.
>
> I have no problems requiring Python 2.4 for Mailman 2.2, although I
> would like to get some feedback from the community before we decide for
> sure.

Red Hat is currently shipping 2.3 in FC2 and FC3. 2.4 won't show up till
FC4 which is at least 6 months out. RHEL3 is still shipping with 2.2.
RHEL4, which has not yet shipped will have 2.3.

Python 2.3 is going to be installed version of python on Red Hat systems
for a while and 2.2 is also common.

I have a suggestion. My understanding is that python 2.4 is desired
because the CJK codecs are part of the official python distribution in
2.4. Up to this point mailman installed its own CJK codecs. The proper
course of action in my view would be to continue to ship mailman's
private copy of the codecs, add a check to "configure" to test for 2.4,
if its available use the python version, if not fallback to the previous
private method. Sound like a plan?
--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>