[Mailman-Developers] Status of bug #974290 unknown encoding crashes qrunner?

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Wed Dec 1 18:30:22 CET 2004

    Tokio> Try the latest source from CVS before start
    Tokio> hacking. CookHeaders.py in question is heavily patched for
    Tokio> inclusion of sequence number in subject_prefix. The bug may
    Tokio> be fixed as a side effect. ;-)

I don't have that choice; it's not my installation.

Seems a pretty unlikely side effect, anyway, since CookHeaders.py
isn't in some of the traces for me.  (I just noticed that on the most
recent SHUNT.)  What's happening is that outside of the try that
catches the LookupError for the explicit call to unicode(), there is a
call h.append(s,c) or so, which comes from email.Header, which is
_not_ protected.

All of the traces I've seen so far have h.append() in them.  There's
at least one more of these crashes in CommandRunner.py, due to a call
to make_header().  Basically, I'd say that anything that calls into
email.Header is at risk.