[Mailman-Developers] Addition to FAQ re: List of available customization fields

Terri Oda terri at zone12.com
Tue Aug 31 21:27:37 CEST 2004

On Aug 31, 2004, at 3:18 PM, Adam Boettiger wrote:

> I've read both FAQ's and used the FAQ Search Tool and it came up
> empty, so this is something else you may want to add to the FAQ:
>
> I see that you can insert customized fields into outgoing messages by
> using the <MM-Field-Name> tag. Where can I find a list of all field
> names available for insertion in this tag?

Shockingly enough, you find this in the documentation. ;)  Con't feel
bad that you didn't see it, though -- this is from the unfinished
list-admin manual.  Which I am, incidentally, working on, although I
think I checked my last changes into the wrong repository...

Anyhow, here it is.  I'll go put it in the FAQ.

real_name
     This is the value of the real_name configuration variable
     in the General options category.

list_name
     This is the canonical name of the mailing list.  In other words
     it's the posting address of the list.

	Note: For backward compatibility, the variable _internal_name is
     equivalent.

host_name
     This is the domain name part of the email address for this list.

web_page_url
     This is the base url for contacting the list via the web.  It can
     be appended with listinfo%(list_name)s to yield the
     general list information page for the mailing list.

description
     The brief description of the mailing list.

info
     This is the full description of the mailing list.

cgiext
     This is the extension added to CGI scripts.  It might be the empty
     string, .cgi, or something else depending on how your site
     is configured.