[Mailman-Developers] "@" in mail **text** gets replaced inarchives

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Sun Sep 28 09:45:32 EDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-09-28 at 05:13, Harald Meland wrote:
> [Barry Warsaw]
>
> > I really really want to use something like message-ids to generate
> > message file names.  I want to be able to generate links to archived
> > messages in the footers, but I think the best way to do that is to agree
> > on a reproducible, independent algorithm for calculating them.
>
> What input parameters should such an algorithm have?  I take it that
> you want to use just
>
>  * list name and
>  * message-id

Exactly.

>  2) Whenever Mailman receives a message whose message-id is already
>     present in the archives, the original Message-Id: header is
>     renamed to e.g. X-Original-Message-Id:, and Mailman generates a
>     fresh (as in "not yet present in the archives") message-id before
>     the message is either archived or sent to the list members.

This is what I was thinking about.  Alternatively we could rewrite all
message-id headers when we accept the message.  That would guarantee
uniqueness but it would break the correlation of message-ids between
list copies and direct copies.  Is that bad?  (note that we already do
this for NNTP posted messages, and there has been some off-list
discussion about that).