[Mailman-Developers] Problem with MM after power outage

Peter C. Norton spacey-mailman at lenin.nu
Fri Sep 12 17:14:25 EDT 2003

On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 09:58:18PM +0200, Brad Knowles wrote:
> At 12:56 PM -0400 2003/09/12, John A. Martin wrote:
>
> > And, moreover, the choice should depend upon the file system and file
> > system options.  As you know, all Linux boxen do not necessarily only
> > run ext2 even by distribution default.
>
> 	It's easy enough to check the type of filesystem to be used, and
> whether "chatter +S" has been run on the particular directory
> structure.

This has gotten silly.  99% of the sites out there don't about the
tradeoff, and mailman could write synchronously without impacting the
performance.  Playing fast and loose could be done if a site admin
wanted it.  Doing OS-specific checks just to set this variable is
silly because the admin can make the business decision as to whether
they can afford to let the system run with async writes, write-back
cache, etc. and its their problem.

-Peter

--
The 5 year plan:
In five years we'll make up another plan.