[Mailman-Developers] Re: being flexible.

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Fri Oct 31 18:08:24 EST 2003

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 23:26:08 +0100
Simone Piunno <pioppo at ferrara.linux.it> wrote:
> On Friday 31 October 2003 22:30, Brad Knowles wrote:

>>> Right now we're receiving messages over a pipe and as far as I see
>>> we're not using any environment or command line parameter (beside
>>> the script name) so where's this SMTP magic?

>> You mean the envelope sender address?  The IP address of the envelope
>> sender?

> yes, I mean exactly this, we're not retrieving them, neither by
> command line options nor by environment variables.

Ahh, yes.  I'd forgotten that as I wrap Mailman's wrapper in a larger
filter which does take and processes the envelope information.

However, there remains a distinct difference if several addresses are
conflated to the same POP/IMAP box.  In that case you lose the target
side of the envelope, and thus can't determine reliably which
Mailman-specific address/wrapper/alias to deliver the message to.

> Doing it would probably be MTA-specific (i.e. less portable).

As of last I checked the Debian Exim packages ship with the
no-alias-file-required Mailman configs by default.

--
J C Lawrence