[Mailman-Developers] Re: being flexible.

Simone Piunno pioppo at ferrara.linux.it
Fri Oct 31 17:26:08 EST 2003

On Friday 31 October 2003 22:30, Brad Knowles wrote:

> >  Right now we're receiving messages over a pipe and as far as I see we're
> > not using any environment or command line parameter (beside the script
> > name) so where's this SMTP magic?
>
> 	You mean the envelope sender address?  The IP address of the
> envelope sender?

yes, I mean exactly this, we're not retrieving them, neither by command line
options nor by environment variables.
Doing it would probably be MTA-specific (i.e. less portable).

I want also to point you to the USE_ENVELOPE_SENDER parameter in Defaults.py
and to the get_sender method in Mailman/Message.py, where this parameter is
only used to decide in which priority order we read "From:" and "Sender:"
from the message header.

> 	Yup.  Fetchmail loses exactly the same information, in exactly
> the same way.  As soon as the message is written to a mailbox
> somewhere, you lose the envelope information.  So, retrieving the
> mailbox via POP3 doesn't work.

I perfectly know what you mean, the fact is that over the pipe we get exactly
a mailbox format (but without the leading "From " line) so according to you
Mailman 2.1 doesn't work either! What are you trying to demonstrate?

--
Adde parvum parvo magnus acervus erit -- Ovidio